Proof of funds – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry) Proof of funds is how one shows the Canadian government that he has enough money to settle in Canada. If someone is invited by the government to apply, he must give written proof that he has this money.
One needs proof of funds to meet the minimum requirements of mainly two programs-(POF)
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
One does not need to show that he has enough money to support himself and his family if
  • He is applying under the Canadian Experience Class or
  • He is authorized to work in Canada and has a valid job offer, even if you apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program or the Federal Skilled Trades Program

It is advised to keep one’s funds up to date in his profile. The system may find the eligibility of the candidate in more than one program. None knows ahead of time in which program he will be invited under.

The amount of money one needs to support his family depends on the size of the family.

To calculate the size of one’s family one must include
  • Himself
  • His spouse or partner
  • His dependent children and
  • His spouse’s dependent children
Include spouse or dependent children even if they’re
  • Permanent residents or Canadian citizens
  • Not coming to Canada with the candidate

This table shows the minimum amount one needs to immigrate to Canada. If one has more money, he should list the full amount in his profile or application.

Funds must be readily accessible to one user. You do not, for instance, use the equity on real property as evidence of settlement funds.

One can’t borrow the money from another person, either. One must be willing to use this money to pay for his family’s living expenses (even if they don’t come with him).

When someone’s partner comes with him, he will count the money they have in a joint account together. One may only be able to count money under their name in an account, so he must show that he has access to the money.

The funds must be available both when one applies and when a permanent resident visa is given to him by the Canadian government. He has to show an immigration officer that after arriving, he can legally access the cash to use here.

For confirmation, official letters from any banks or financial institutions where money is stored must be obtained. Letter(s) must
  • Be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead
  • Include their contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  • Include name
  • List outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans
  • Account numbers
  • Date each account was opened
  • The current balance of each account
  • The average balance for the past 6 months

The government updates the minimum amount one needs every year, based on 50% of the low-income cut-off totals. The changes are small, but there is a chance they could affect one’s eligibility. It is advised to the immigrant aspirants to check the new numbers once they’re posted.

It is important for a person to bring as much money as he can. This will make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. When someone arrives in Canada, he has to tell the border officer if he is bringing more than CAN$10,000 into Canada. If anyone does not tell them, he may be fined, and his funds could be seized.

This includes:
  • Cash